Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:14:40 +1000 (EST)
From:      Graeme Cross <graeme@babylon.wsc.monash.edu.au>
To:        "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. the rest of the world, poor OS comparison on web p

> On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Amancio wrote:
>
>  : it sort of reminded me of 386bsd. After I install the system, I went on
>  : to build a kernel -- interesting approach to config the kernel :
>  : make config which asks you a bunch of questions --- all of the sudden
>  : the  Freebsd config file seem like a 21 first century super duper
>  : kernel configuation database 8)

Linux kernel configuration the elegant way:

	make menuconfig
	make xconfig

Complete with on-line explanations for every kernel compilation option.
You can save multiple kernel configurations as well.

This has been supported since the 1.2 kernels (IIRC).

>  : Slackware left me with the impression that it was too slanted to
>  : hackers and for the life of me I can't figure out why people
>  : prefer linux to Freebsd -- it seems that Freebsd will be easier
>  : on newbies.

Linux/*BSD wars do not seem do to much to promote free software.
If you really need to do a comparison, you have a choice of a handful of
distributions: Redhat, Debian, Slackware, Caldera and SuSe.

All of these, bar one, is a very professional distribution that is well
maintained, has excellent mailing list support and is very elegant and
simple to install.

Which one is the exception? Slackware (IMHO).
It has a very small user base these days, and is really beginning to show
it's age.

Which one seems to have been the basis of FreeBSD/Linux comparisons in these
recent threads? Slackware.

If you really feel the need to compare & contrast Linux and FreeBSD,
comparing against Redhat or Debian would be a more useful comparison.

My two cents worth, as a both a FreeBSD and Linux user.

Cheers
Graeme

- --
Graeme Cross			Water Studies Centre, Monash University
				http://www.wsc.monash.edu.au/~graeme/
Random thought #87
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.