Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 22:06:49 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: same interface Route Cache

Alex Pilosov wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
> > That's the way Internet routing is supposed to work.  If your routing
> > table says a packet supposed to go one way, and it really needs to go
> > another way, that's *user error* -- if you misconfigure your routing,
> > FreeBSD will do what you ask it to; it can't read your mind!
>
> There are legitimate reasons why you may want more flexibility than simple
> destination-based routing. I.E. Having two connections, one satellite
> (fast cheap but high-latency) and one long-distance modem connection
> (slow, expensive but low-latency) and dynamically routing telnet packets
> over the modem connection. Or, traffic engineering: routing packets from a
> certain blocks over a certain interface, etc.

The above are all pretty much vanilla route table manipulations, and don't
require any "policy routing" other than some route table developments.
Policy routing is a tool network administrators use to generate customer
support calls to their equipment vendors.

There are legitimate uses for such things: interactive video over VLANs,
end-to-end QoS reservations that prefer links that can provide QoS, etc.,
but the ability of just about anyone to correctly configure such things
has yet to be shown in my experience.