Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 21:12:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel J. O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: FTP passive mode - a new default?

On 26-May-99 Nick Hibma wrote:
>  Is there a list of pro-/cons- available?
>
>  - it is slower, but by how much and on which types of lines (low/high
>  latency, low/high bandwidth)?
>
>  - any (windows) tools not supporting it?

Well funnily enough some servers won't allow passive mode, and I have seen a
broken server/firewall combo which meant that passive ftp wouldn't work because
the firewall denied the clients connection for passive mode (very duh).

FTP passive mode works by getting the server to bind to a port and telling the
client to connect to that to get/send the data, whereas normal ftp mode the
client binds the port and the server connects to it.

FreeBSD's ftpd allows you to specify a port range for passive ftp so you don't
have to have your system wide open.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum