Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:08:44 -0700
From:      Tamiji Homma <thomma@BayNetworks.COM>
To:        ben@rosengart.com, benedict@echonyc.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates panic once more; downgrading

> I had another soft updates panic today on my pre-CAM kernel, which I had
> believed to be stable (it has Luoqi's patch and made it through several
> world builds).

> panic: initiate_write_filepage: dir inum 0 != new 246465

Just a data point.  9/16/1998 8pm PDT cvsup'ed.

SMP(440FX, dual PPros, 128MB), SOFTUPDATES, SCSI_CAM(Single 4.3G 9ES), ELF

  make -j4 buildworld  1:20:39  successful
  make -j8 buildworld           the same panic as above

This is off topic but everytime I got panic and fsck with softupdate
doesn't fix the file system correctly.  I always have to turn
softupdates off, and tunefs -n enable again after fsck.  I remember
that fsck is(must be?) softupdates aware so that it knows how to fix
the file system inconsistency for softupdates enabled file system
in case of crash.  However, fsck appears to be not doing the job.

Am I misunderstood about this?

Tammy