Date:      16 Nov 2001 13:20:37 -0600
From:      James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
To:        Giuseppe Pagnoni <gpagnon@emory.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem disconnects immediately

Giuseppe Pagnoni <gpagnon@emory.edu> writes:

> Dear list
>
> maybe somebody can help me out with this.  I am running freebsd 4.4 and i
> just bought an external Modem Blaster (DE5625).  FreeBSD sees it as cuaa1
> and I manage to connect with ppp to my provider but after authenticating
> the remote modem immediately drops CD and I lose the connection.  Has
> anybody encountered similar problems or is able to suggest a solution?
> Incidentally my box dual-boots with win2000 professional and the problem
> is exactly the same under windows.
>
> thanks

Have you examined the log? Have you set he log options? Reading the
man page (man ppp) will tell you how to do that.

It sounds like an authentication error (wrong or garbled user-name or
password) but it could be something else. I had an experience where
the modem initialization strings wer the culprit (different
modem). Examining a log of a failed connection is really the first
step in understanding this problem. If you don't figure it out
yourself then you can post the appropriate part of the log and someone
else may find the error.