Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:09:19 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Satyajeet Seth <sseth@sasken.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org, gbnaidu@sasken.com
Subject:   Re: Ping Problem

Satyajeet Seth wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please see my comments below.
>

> I am using FreeBSD 4.1. I followed Roger's suggestion about "autosrc 0"
> message. But "autosrc" message is not available in ng_ether.
> I have tried commenting
> bcopy((IFP2AC(priv->ifp))->ac_enaddr, eh->ether_shost,
> 6);
> in ng_ether_rcv_lower in ng_ether.c with the effect that fxp0 is able to
> send packets with pseudo ethernet interface MAC address.

please upgrade to at least 4.1.1 which has the autosrc command.
preferably to 4.2. If you need to maybe look at upgrading just netgraph
and possibly if_ethersubr.c bit I would be happier to see a move up for
the system as a whole.

An upgrade within the '4' family should be pretty painless.

> I have tried the following setup for pinging from nge0 to some machine on
> LAN.
>
> on pcs130 (Machine with pseudo ethernet interfaces, see output of
> "ifconfig -a" below)
> ==============================
> 1. #route change -host 10.0.36.134 -ifp nge0
> Now arp starts to print messages like:
> arp: 'IP addr' is on fxp0 but got response from 'MAC address' on nge0.

broadcast frames received have to be sent to the interface that
is on that net. To do this you would need to read arp packets to decide
which network to send it. (sinc ethey are the usual users of broadcast
messages. At the moment you MAY MAY have success if you enable some bridging
as that disables some of those checks.

> 2. #ping 10.0.36.134
> This does not work.

probably the arp packets are never getting back to the right interface

You need to do more packet tracing.
does the packet hit the wire?
does the target respond?
is there a arp packet before it?
does the dest respond tothe arp?
does the response appear in the arp table?
does the destination in turn send an arp request before responding to the  ping?
does the arp response (broadcast) get assigned to an interface?
does it get answered?
from which interface?
does  the response hit the wire?

It was never envisionned to multiplex multiple ether networks over a single
network without adding a layer e.g. VLAN. This is what VLAN is for.

The problems with broadcast packets is one of the problems.

> on pcs134(some machine on lan)
> Using tee's I found that 10.0.36.134 receives ethernet frames with src
> MAC address of nge0 and dest MAC address of 10.0.36.134.
> pcs134 response frames are sent to MAC address of default router
> 10.0.32.1. But pcs130 does not receive these frames.

why does the PC send to the default router? netmask problems I think
mask == ffffffff is probably a problem.

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org