Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:14:39 +0100 (GMT-1)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr
To:        gordon@drogon.net (Gordon Henderson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No more processes

Gordon Henderson wrote / a ecrit:

> Anyone shed some light on this? I get this error fairly offten
[...]
> The kernel is compiled with maxusers set to 64. This ought to give it more
> processes that you can shake a stick at, or is there soemthing subtler
> going on like the process counter counting all processes for that
> particular user, even processes belonging to a different tty group? (eg.
> inn uses more that 40 processes as uid 'news' then I come allong & login
> as news to do some admin work and the default being 40 per user, it counts
> all the existing processes... ???

Try:

options         "CHILD_MAX=256"         #max processes per user (soft limit)

in your kernel configuration file. You may want to try a higher  value
if you need it, but I'm not sure of the potential side effects if any.

_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE