Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:20:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      Zahemszky Gabor <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD questions)
Cc:        keithl@wakko.gil.net
Subject:   Re: Vi and mapping keys

> Hang my head in shame,
>
> my problem with mapping was that I brought over from another OS the .exrc
> file without thinking that the termcap for the other was different (I mean
> I knew it - just didn't extend the thought far enough)
>
> Once I tried ':map <^v>..the function key I wanted...the function to
> map' I saw at once that the code was different for that key. Problem
> solved - much to my relief and shame.

Hi!

I've another idea.  Do you know that with correct termcap/terminfo entries,
you can use terminal independent way of redefining function keys?  The
trick, is that instead of <^V>F3, you have to write: #3, eg:
:map #3 :q!<^v><ENTER>
to map F3 to quick exit without save.
In this way, you can use the same .exrc on every type of Unix/terminal pair.

Bye, Gabor