Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:00:47 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp driver info

At 01:24 PM 01/25/2001, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > If they have a published, freely distributable driver for linux. why would
> > you have to sign an NDA to port it to FreeBSD?
>
>You don't. But reverse engineering isn't always complete.

there is a difference between "reverse engineering" and porting a commented
source driver with a spec for the part available.

>I should know- having gone through hell for the Gigabit NIC for *BSD... mostly
>reverse engineered from the Linux driver.

Your problem here was that the LINUX driver was reverse engineered. So your
source was faulty. The case with the intel driver is the "ASSumption" that
its been done correctly and that the procedures for using the functions
available are correct.

Dennis