Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 19:23:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        juha@saarinen.org
Subject:   Re: Still getting "Checksum mismatch" etc.

In article <Pine.LNX.4.33.0106261415010.1338-100000@vimfuego.saarinen.org>,
Juha Saarinen  <juha@saarinen.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, John Polstra wrote:
>
> > Good.  When it says it will send the whole file, that should clear
> > up any kind of problem.  Note, however, that these fixups happen at
> > the very end of the cvsup run.  If you kill it before it finishes,
> > you'll get the same thing on the next run.
>
> Ahh... at the very end, you say? I wonder if this is due to the
> jakarta-tomcat thing? Noticed that 'make update' would bomb out because it
> couldn't delete that Port of Infamy ;-)

Yep, that would explain it.  That jakarta-tomcat thing is going to
be the death of me. :-(

The "checksum mismatch ..." message is a "should not happen" kind of
scenario.  It only happens if (a) somebody manually dinked around with
the repository files [this case], or (b) somebody manually dinked
around with the local files in a very devious way without changing
the timestamp, or (c) some internal CVSup error happened.  I am not
aware of any occurrances of (c) for several years.  Anyway, by the
time it detects the checksum mismatch, the best it can do is make a
note to fix things up at the end.  If you kill it (or it dies) before
then, the offending file will be unchanged on your machine (i.e., your
original version before the update run) and the checksum mismatch will
happen again next time.

John