Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 18:44:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Packet Eater Available?

>From the desk of Jaye Mathisen comes:
>
> What about just using the IP firewall filtering?  That throws 'em away.
>
> On Fri, 10 May 1996, Wes Santee wrote:
>
> > 'Lo.  Is there a program for FreeBSD that will selectively eat
> > incoming packets (i.e. receive them, but just throw them away)?  The

I'm not sure this affords me the flexiblity I'm after.  Is there a way
using the IP firewalling option to turn on/off access to a port at
will?

For example, if process X connects to port 5000 of machine Y, can I
let that process connect, then after it is connected, start eating the
packets it's sending on that port?  In other words, I'd like to be
able to turn it on and off during while the connection is active, but
without blocking or disconnecting the client (I'm trying to simulate
dropped packets to see how a piece of client software deals with
non-delivered packets).

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>                   Homepageless - and proud )
( PGP: email w/Subject: "Send PGP Key"                Powered by FreeBSD )