Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 19:43:22 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Banu Ozden <ozden@research.bell-labs.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi target mode

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 11:39:24AM -0600, David Scheidt wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Banu Ozden wrote:
>
> > here's a diagram depicting what we want to do. we're trying to setup
> > a PC (PC2 below) with an adaptec controller to act as an emulated disk.
> > PC 1 will access the disks on PC 2.
>
> I don't do this on FreeBSD, but I do a lot of this under HP/UX.  Our
> configurations look like this:
>
> ---------------       ---------       ----------------
> | Host Adaptor0|      | DISKS |       | Host Adaptor1 |
> | SCSI ID=7    |======|       |=======| SCSI ID=6     |
> |              |      |       |       |               |
> ---------------       ---------       -----------------
>
> As for termination, remember that SCSI is a bus.  It goes from here to
> there, and has a terminator at each end.  We no longer use the on card
> termination.  HP make a nifty pass-through terminator (part number C2980A,
> for F/W/D busses only) that allows one controller be disconnected without
> breaking bus termination.  Very handy if you need to do work on one system
> without disturbing the application running on the other.  I advise against
> putting a SCSI controller in the middle, unless you use a Y cable.

Maybe you can find Y-cables from DEC/Compaq. Or something we call a trilink,
which has 2 female and 1 male connector. We tend to use trilinks on raid
controllers.

Generally speaking 'joining' machines into cluster(like) you want to
use differential SCSI buses.

--
Wilko Bulte 					Arnhem, The Netherlands
    						WWW : http://www.tcja.nl