Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:27:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/i386 exception.s genassym.c machdep.c mp_machdep.c mpapic.c swtch.s vm_machdep.c src/sys/i386/include cpufunc.h pcb.h src/sys/i386/isa apic_vector.s clock.c icu_vector.s intr_machdep.c intr_machdep.h npx.c src/sys/kern ...

:>     SMP.
:>
:>     As I've said, I have yet to hear a single hard fact that shows how I am
:>     interfering with John's work.  Not one hard fact.  This entire bikeshed
:>     is nothing but innuendo.
:
:Suggestion: visit http://www.freebsd.org/smp.  Identify an item on the
:list currently listed as "Not Started" or "Stalled".  Post to freebsd-smp
:to confirm no one else is working on it.  Commit to index.sgml to claim
:ownership of the task.  There's plenty to do.
:
:Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Project

    Well, this isn't a matter of searching around randomly for something to
    do.  I have my own priorities, and I have publically stated them on many
    occassions.  I have a specific interest in the Giant pushdown work and on
    infrastructure that will streamline -current.  I in fact stated
    my opinion of the terribly inefficient critical_*() functions months
    ago but couldn't do anything about them at the time.

    This isn't a matter of finding some random area that nobody has been
    touched.  This is a matter of working on the areas that one loves.  We
    aren't employees, after all, we are volunteers.  We do this stuff because
    we like it.

    Now I have tried several times now to continue the push-down work, only
    to hit a brick wall with John.  Not being able to do anything there and
    with time to burn turned to my #2 issue after Giant pushdown which is
    the critical_enter() and critical_exit() code.  I have to say that I
    believe I have done a slam-bang job.  It may look a little messy but
    it's only the stage-1 commit.  It's functional, it solves not only my
    streamlining issue but it also solves the IPI deadlock issue and puts
    on the road to solving the FAST interrupt stalling issue.

    In short, it does everything right and it angers me to no-end that John
    and some others are spewing emotional misinformation on the lists and
    especially IRC when they obviously either have not read the patch or do
    not understand what the patch accomplishes.  I have gone to great
    lengths to not break things and I believe I have accomplished that goal.
    I have gone to great lengths to ensure that the code is compatible with
    all the other SMP projects that I am aware of and nobody has posted any
    information to the contrary.  I have gone to great lengths to instrument
    the code with a sysctl to make testing easy.  I have gone to great lengths
    to ensure that it does not intentionally break the other architectures,
    comments to the contrary on IRC.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>