Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:30:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ashworth@fubar.cs.montana.edu
Subject:   Re: A couple of things...

>   It's in there, but I'm sure that's along the right lines because I
> can't telnet or rlogin to my machine from outside or even from inside
> when specifying 'localhost' as the destination. Could this mean that
> inetd.conf isn't being read? I do a 'ps -ax' and don't see any rlogind,
> telnetd, or anything of the sort. However, I do see inetd. Are all of the
> other daemons that start in inetd.conf bundled into the one inetd process?

No.  They start to live, when you start a connection.

>   I also get ifconfig errors when booting that say that tun0 and lo0 don't
> exist. Here's the pertinent section of my /etc/sysconfig where I define
> lo0 and tun0:
> ----------
> network_interfaces="lo0 tun0"
>
> ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
> ifconfig_tun0="inet spacehog.structured.net 206.58.0.100 netmask 0xffffff00"
> ----------

As I know, you don't have to ifconfig tun0, it will be ifconfiged by pppd.
And localhost in lo0 is good, if your hosts has localhost, and your host.conf
has host before bind.

(Well, the second error as I think, that you don't need the name AND the IPaddr
in the ifconfig line, only one of them - in sysconfig, recommended the IPaddr.)

>   Does it mean anything that I have a /dev/tun0 but not a /dev/lo0?

No.  You don't need a lo0.

--
	Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>

Earth is the cradle of human sense, but you can't stay in the cradle forever.
						Tsiolkovsky