Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:43:15 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez <victor@usac.edu.gt>
Cc:        MDM <MDM+aSACODEF%Sacodefense@mcimail.com>, Walnut Creek CDRom <support@cdrom.com>, support@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation help request

Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, MDM wrote:
>
> > I have recently (yesterday) installed FreeBSD on my 486 pci computer.
> > I need a clue (or 2) regarding mounting an IDE CdRom.  The CdRom, a Sony
> > CSD-760E IDE 4x with an "interface" card does not appear in the initial probe
> > during the boot sequence.  the wdc0 controller does appear, as do my two hard
> > disks wd0 and wd1. Then the wdc1 controller appears but there is no device
> > following it, i.e. wd2 or wd3, as I was expecting.
>
> Maybe your system already has two IDE interfaces, so try removing the
> CD-ROM interface card and install the CD drive as master in the second
> interface. I don't think FreeBSD supports a 3rd. IDE interface.
>
> Greetings,

You'll also need to build your own kernel with the following lines in it:
options ATAPI
device wcd0

and create the device special node for wcd0 by performing:
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV wcd0

(all that as root, of course). Then try to reboot. Your CD should be recognized as
wcd0. Note that if you can't get the CD recognized as the master on the secondary
controller, you still have a very good chance that it will work as slave on the
primary controller. Try to swap it with wd1.

> +-----------------------------------------------+
> |      Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez          |
> |  Unidad de Internet/Red Cientifico-Educativa  |
> | Depto. de Procesamiento Electronico de Datos  |
> | Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala -USAC- |
> |e-mail: victor@usac.edu.gt,                    |
> |Telefono oficina: (502)4769723 (fax/voz)       |
> |                  (502)4767719 (voz)           |
> |Telefono casa   : (502)4782916 (502)2891037    |
Nadav