Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:35:18 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        legg@iastate.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tar on 4.3-RELEASE (fwd)

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 04:23:46PM -0500, legg@iastate.edu wrote:
> DUH - I am a real anti-nerd today.  I wrote to the list, but forgot to
> state the problem I was having.  My sincerest apologies.
>
> PROBLEM:  Why is this error message appearing?  In this instance, tar is
> only being used to de-arc a file.  I don't need anything sent to a device.
> Is there a reason why it is set up like this?
>

> When I use tar as a user (as opposed to root), I get complaints that I
> don't have permissions to /dev/sa0/.  I find this peculiar as I don't have
> a tape drive on my machine.
>
> tar -t  (view contents of file), tar -c (create file), tar -x (extract
> file; they all generate this error.
>
> stdout.txt - 	a script of all standard input/output
> 		as I demonstrate this error.

If you do not specify the name of the archive tar will, by default,
assume that it is on tape. On /dev/sa0 to be specific. (Remember taht
tar stands for Tape ARchiver.)

The solution is of course to specify the name of the tar archive. This
is done with the -f flag.
So to view the contents of a tar file use:
tar tvf file.tar
(The 'v' option is optional but recommended. It gives a more verbose
output.)
To extract a .tar archive use
tar xvf file.tar
And to create one use
tar cvf file.tar file1 file2 file3
where file1,file2,file3 are the file you want to put in the archive.
(And, no, you do not need to use a '-' sign in front of the options for
tar. You can but it is not necessary.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson