Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 10:48:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adding memory to an 500au (PC66/100 ECC ?)

Jameel Akari writes:
 > 	which is SDRAM,66MHz,CL=2,ECC.  This is what I ordered for my
 > 500au and it works fine.  Note that they do list the quantity as 2.  And
 > they's not exactly cheap (less than what I paid, but still close to twice
 > that of normal PC RAM.)
 >
 > 	I'm pretty sure that the memory controller on the Miatas actually
 > clocks at 66MHz and that the DEC parts were overrated.  (gotta love
 > that belt+suspenders engineering approach) I've had a grand total of one

Well, I a few years back I tried (unsuccessfully) to move 66MHz ECC
SDRAM from a PC into a miata, and it didn't work.  So there may be
something special about the memory that Crucial is not telling you
(like their web form doesn't know about 83MHz ram, but that's what
they're actually selling you).  Or it may just be CL2 vs CL3 (its been
over 3 years, and I don't remember what I tried other than it was
66MHz ECC).

Drew