Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:32:43 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>, Gene Harris <zeus@tetron03.tetronsoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: are files limited to 2 GB still?

>> Are individual files really still limited to 2 GB on FBSD ufs?  Or have I
>> missed something obvious?
>
>What 2GB limit?
>
>[FreeBSD has had support for > 2GB files since '94]

OK, good.  So, why can't 3.2-R deal with a 4 GB file?

  # /bin/ls -al /remote/13
  ls: tom.__lassiter_E.19991007.0: File too large

From a HP-UX 10.20 system:
  # ll /remote/13
  -r--r-----   1 root       sys        4262199296 Oct 15 18:01
tom.__lassiter_E.19991007.0

I encounter the same message no matter what program I use to try to
access this file from the FBSD system.  Could this be a NFS problem?
The file is on the HP-UX system.  When I tried to copy it to a disk
on the FBSD system, using dd on the HP-UX system, the copy ran for
2 GB and then failed with "I/O Error".  Trying the same with dd on
the FBSD system the copy won't even start (File too large).

-Mitch