Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 18:13:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, koshy@india.hp.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heidemann Framework integration (Re: Other filesystems under FreeBSD)

> > The main problem areas in the 4.4BSD/FreeBSD implementation of the
> > Heidemann framework are:
> >

> There are also vops that don't take a vp as a parameter.  bwrite and
> bstrategy.

They should; more likely, blocked I/O should be implemented as a
layer above the FS.  The devfs code is a very special case if you
don't have specfs or allow device nodes on other FS's (you can use
symlinks for the same effect).

Given that, if there were still a need for it, and it couldn't be
represented in the uio struct, or in the name space by virtue of the
vp that came back from the open, then VOP_IOCTL on the vp seems right.

Anyway... that's part of "and so on...".

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---