Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:10:17 +0100
From:      Nik.Clayton@iii.co.uk
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "saver"

On Mon, Jul 21, 1997 at 07:24:04AM -0500, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> Well, this thread certainly does help to illustrate some of the confusion
> that can result during an upgrade re: /etc.  :-)

Yep. Been there, done that.

> OK, shoot me if this sounds terribly simplistic or heretical, but why not
> have the install part of "make world" actually do just that -- install all
> the files in /etc that are supposed to be installed to have a functioning
> system?

Take a look through

    http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/upgrade/upgrade.html

and see the steps that need to be done to *properly* upgrade /etc.

> It would be a simple matter to either rename the old /etc files to say,
> *.old, or to install the new versions as *.new.  Or perhaps even create a
> whole new directory, say, /etc.new.

Replacing steps 4.x in the above tutorial?

That wouldn't be too hard.

> Can anyone think of why this would be a Bad Idea?

Not particularly. I'd prepare patches myself, except I don't currently have
an accessible FreeBSD machine.

--
--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
                               Pithy quotes suck.