Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:27:28 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 8:08 PM -0400 2002/11/17, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> >  Exactly, but if there is not sufficient support for those willing to do
> >  that effort, it makes it very difficult ... that's why I think there
> >  almost might need to be a stable-qa list that some of us can have a more
> >  focused ear of the developers on ... not for build related issues, only
> >  stability related ... if I can't build the system, I don't install it, I
> >  just wait a few days and try again ...
>
> 	To ensure that the signal/noise ratio is kept to reasonable
> levels, the stable-qa and current-qa lists should be reserved for
> people who are willing to commit extra time and resources to actually
> properly debugging things (which I believe I am willing and able to
> do, and sounds like you are as well), and there should be a similar
> commitment from the people writing the code.

I think one of the things that would really help, if at all possible, is a
more compreshensive 'how to debug a kernel' document ... whenever mine
crashes, first place I go is the handbook and grab as much as I know to
grab, but if that could somehow be extended?

For instance, the one thing I never clued into until Matt showed me was
using ps/pstat against my vmcore to see how much swap was in use, and what
processes were running when she crashed ...

Basically, the more informed we, the debuggers/testers, can be, the easier
job of it the developers, who can fix it, will have ...