Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:56:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        Max Clark <max@clarksys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.9-Stable: Disk error booting from hard drive

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 at 17:21 -0800, Max Clark wrote:

> To make this even weirder, I just installed 4.8 and it works. So now 4.8
> works, 5.2 works and 4.9 doesn't. What is up with 4.9?

See the recent -stable thread "Install bug - 4.9 stable - post install
circular reboot"

I wrote there:

"(From memory, YMMV) Reboot for the installation CD into sysinstall.
Select "Configure"  then "Fdisk".  In fdisk select "W" this will cause
the MBR to be rewritten correctly (I always select the FreeBSD boot
manager, I don't know if that is necessary)."

I have further looked into this and see that it is actually the boot2
bootstrap which is incorrectly written to disk on my machine.  Most of
one disk block is zeroed instead of containing the boot code.

Stuart
--
http://www.4gh.net/tudor/resume.html