Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 2010 15:24:31 +0200
From:      Gleb Kurtsou <gleb.kurtsou@gmail.com>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [rfc] Replacing FNV and hash32 with Paul Hsieh's SuperFastHash

On (25/12/2010 20:29), Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 23.12.2010 23:46, Gleb Kurtsou wrote:
>
> > For testing I've used dbench with 16 processes on 1 Gb swap back md
> > device, UFS + SoftUpdates:
> > Old hash (Mb/s): 599.94  600.096 599.536
> > SFH hash (Mb/s): 612.439 612.341 609.673
> >
> > It's just ~1% improvement, but dbench is not a VFS metadata intensive
> > benchmark. Subjectively it feels faster accessing maildir mailboxes
> > with ~10.000 messages : )
>
> Try blogbench if you need metadata-intensive operations, or even fsx.
blogbench should be good, but I've always had hard time interpreting its
results. Besides results tend to very a lot, there is no way to set seed
value like in fsx, so that I could run exactly the same test in different
configurations. I prefer to use blogbench for stability testing.

fsx is a different beast, it reads/writes/truncates at random offsets -
great tool for debugging mmap/truncate issues. Patch doesn't improve it
in any way.