Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 1997 15:10:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump/restore with compression, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr

> >> I'd never use any compression -- except hardware-based like DAT's --
> >> because you can't recover much if your tape have a problem... I'm against
> >> compressed file systems for that very reason too.

[ ... block compression ... ]

> You still get the phenomenon that I usually describe as 'uncompressing the
> error' - your physical block contains more information when it's
> compressed, so you lose more than in the uncompressed case even if you can
> recover.

Yes, but the error doesn't damage the entire filesystem or tape
archive.  You've lost the file either way if you have a media error,
and spamming 2 blocks (assuming 50% compressed size) is not that
much worse than spamming 1.

If you were really paranoid about a particular files contents, such
that one more block would "save your life", you would use rotating
backups and an off-site fire-safe anyway.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.