Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 13:53:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default value for maxusers

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> Isn't this a case where GENERIC has a value set for "older, smaller"
> machines, so it can be used for booting up any machine?  Most modern
> machines may want 64 or more, but what happens for older machines if we
> increase that value?

Quite possibly.  On the other hand, we've started to trim some older
hardware support from GENERIC over time: in the last few months, we've
dropped i386, and emulated math coprocessors.  We've also gradually bumped
up the memory requirements (I remember it going to 5, but it's probably to
8 now).  I guess a useful question might be: what is the memory
cost/footprint per "user" in maxusers.  If we assume boxes today ship with
a minimum of 64mb, and more likely 128mb, we can tune it appropriately.

> Another thing I sometimes wonder is if that value (MAXUSERS) sets the
> right values for whatever it is setting.  I mean, I always increase
> maxusers on my machines, but on the other hand most of my machines never
> have more than three people connected to them at any one time.  Why am I
> setting "MAXUSERS" to 64 or 96 on a machine that only has 3 people
> logged in?

Dunno.  It may be that "maxusers" is simply an out-dated term, and we
should break it down into its components, seperately tweakable at
boot-time using loader.conf.  Many sites already seperately define
NMBCLUSTERS to optimize network behavior independently from maxusers and
the tables it implies.