Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 11:26:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is NIS ypcat showing crypted passwds?

> The FreeBSD passwd shadow (master.passwd) is good for security, nobody can
> try to crack the passwds.
>
> BUT.
>
> Do users see crypted passwords and security is worse with NIS than without
> it? I have heard that with ypcat command anyone can see the crypted
> passwds.

ypcat get encrypted passwords from a server the same way the remote
system would get encrupted passwords and uid in getting the entry by
name.

This is an artifact of a distributed environment and cannot be repaired
without modifying the credentials mechanism to use ticketed access
with expiration and reauthentication.

If you have people cracking your system on your side of the firewall,
then you are probably screwed anyway, since it means they already have
accounts on your machines, and maybe physical access to your ethernet.

If this is true, then password cracking is the least of your worries
(you should never export system proviledged accounts via YP in any
case, the passwords should always be local to each machine on the net).

Otherwise, don't allow connections to the YP ports through the firewall.

Use of YP is heavily tied to the concept of vouchsafe security: it is
used for NFS and central administration of multiple machines with a
single security model, where breaking into one machine is tantamount
to breaking into all of them.

With NFS, the client machine vouches that the credentials it is sending
to the server are the correct credentials and not fake.  That means in
a YP environemnt, just like in an rlogin/rcp/rsh/rcmd environment, the
security is equal to the security on the least secure machine.

If people have access to the physical ethernet and can attach equipment,
then a SPARCBook (for instance) can masquerade as any machine, since it
can rewrite its hardware address.  Then hiding your password file won't
do you any good, since an ARP on the machine will show a trusted host
for NFS mounting or rlogin/rcp/rsh/rcmd vouching.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.