Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:23:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: umount: permission denied as root?

On 15 Jan 1999, Cory Kempf wrote:

> I recently purchased an optical drive for doing backups.  After doing a
> backup, I naturally flipped the switch to write protect.
>
> At a later point, I needed to restore some files from the backup, and
> so, stuck the disk back in, and mounted it.
>
> When I was done, the disk wouldn't unmount.  When I tried, umount
> came back with a 'permission denied'.  At the time, I was root. (If
> root doesn't have permission, who does?!)
>
> The problem was in my /etc/fstab file, I had the following:
>
> 	/dev/da1c      /backup         ufs	rw      0 0
>
> OK, so it is my fault, I should have mounted it read-only.
> Unfortunately, it took a reboot to get the disk out of the drive!
>
> So, I am thinking that perhaps the code should be made more robust?

I had this exact problem with my LS-120 a week or so ago.
Here's a reenaction (yes, I'm doing this in real life now to verify it's
working)
{"/home/green"}# mount /floppy
{"/home/green"}# umount /floppy
umount: /floppy: Input/output error
{"/home/green"}# mount | grep flop
/dev/wfd0a on /floppy (local, writes: sync 2 async 2)
{"/home/green"}# # d'oh! It's write-protected.
{"/home/green"}# mount -u -o ro /floppy
{"/home/green"}# umount /floppy
{"/home/green"}#

Hope I helped!

> +C
>
> --
> Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?
> Please read this first: <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;
>
> Cory Kempf                Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
> ckempf@enigami.com        <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
	     http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |