Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 04:05:10 +0100
From:      "Thomas Beauchamp" <thomas@noproblem.net>
To:        "David Uhring" <duhring@charter.net>, <chad@DCFinc.com>, <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        <JDBitters@cs.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 4.1-STABLE BOOT SLICE PROBLEM

Chad and David, thank you for your replies:

Chad R. Larson:
> That one fdisk partition can then be broken into (up to)
> 15 thingies.  Let's call them slices.

That's where I'm confused: I thought 'slice' was FreeBSD word for
'fdisk/Microsoft partition'?

Chad R. Larson:
> That one fdisk partition can then be broken into (up to) 15
> thingies.  Let's call them slices.
>
> The disklabel program will allow you to create the slices within the
> FreeBSD partition.  One will probably be the primary swap space.
> One will probably be the root filesystem.  The rest are pretty much
> up to you.

David Uhring:
> Partitions are configured with fdisk and slices are configured with
disklabel.

That's even more confusing as I though that that 'fdisk partition' would be
called a 'slice' in FreeBSD jargon and that disklabel progam will create
what FreeBSD calls 'partitions' as in 'partition a' for root file system,
'partition b' for swap space , etc ...

So, is the following correct?

For physical disk /dev/da0, we have for the 1st SLICE (Microsoft partition):

(raw access)
/dev/rda0s1                first slice
/dev/rda0s1a or /dev/rda0a partition a, usually root file system
/dev/rda0s1b or /dev/rda0b partition b, usually swap space
/dev/rda0c                 whole FreeBSD slice
/dev/rda0s1d or /dev/rda0d partition d
/dev/rda0s1e or /dev/rda0e partition e
/dev/rda0s1f or /dev/rda0f partition f
/dev/rda0s1g or /dev/rda0g partition g
/dev/rda0s1h or /dev/rda0h partition h

(block device)
/dev/da0s1                 first slice
/dev/da0s1a or /dev/da0a   partition a, usually root file system
/dev/da0s1b or /dev/da0b   partition b, usually swap space
/dev/da0c
/dev/da0s1d or /dev/da0d   partition d
/dev/da0s1e or /dev/da0e   partition e
/dev/da0s1f or /dev/da0f   partition f
/dev/da0s1g or /dev/da0g   partition g
/dev/da0s1h or /dev/da0h   partition h

and

/dev/rda0s2 or /dev/da0s2 for 2nd SLICE (Microsoft partition)
/dev/rda0s3 or /dev/da0s3 for 3rd SLICE (Microsoft partition)
/dev/rda0s4 or /dev/da0s4 for 4th SLICE (Microsoft partition)

and

/dev/rda0s5 or /dev/da0s5 for 1st drive in Microsoft Extended partition
/dev/rda0s6 or /dev/da0s6 for 2nd drive in Microsoft Extended partition
/dev/rda0s7 or /dev/da0s7 for 3rd drive in Microsoft Extended partition

Many thanks.

Thomas