Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 00:34:13 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

:-)  Yes, that may be the case but ultimately Tim is responsible.
Certainly if Tim told his editors to find and get a BSD book out, I
would think they would be quite more motivated than they are.

>A bit of background: Some years ago O'Reilly printed the complete
>4.4BSD Lite documentation in five volumes.  It was a complete flop.
>As a result, they've been very wary about bringing out another book on
>BSD.

Well, I remember paging through that in the bookstore once, and while I
admit I didn't look through all volumes (they wern't all there) what I
remember of it was mainly reprints of the system manual pages.  Not
much to recommend purchase as the price was rather high.

>Why don't you?  No, they didn't want "The Complete FreeBSD".  Instead
>I'm writing a book for them with the tentative title "Advanced BSD
>System Administration".

That's the best BSD book news I've heard in a long time!  I do hope that
it sees print - lots can derail these projects.

>Wind River has stated that they do want to be in the publishing
>business, though I agree that's a bit surprising.

Hmm...  Well the proof is in the pudding as they say, and we will just need
to see The Complete FreeBSD 4th Edition with Wind River's name on it, now
won't we? ;-)