Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 09:56:38 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "ML Duke" <mlduke@concentric.net>, "Annelise Anderson" <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        "Bruce Harding" <bdh@inspire.net.nz>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Introductory Book on FreeBSD

You can look at the pdf to see what was used to produce it,
worse than MS Word though is Adobe. ;-)

However, keep this in mind, most publishers require submittal
in electronic form, and MS Word format is frequently preferred
over ASCII or other format.  She may not have had any choice.

Anyway, it's not like the UNIX community has no truck with
MS Word format files - look at the wv program, and I think that
the major wordprocessing programs (star office, etc) also
digest the format.

Also, one other thing - if everyone standardizes on Microsoft
Word 97 format files, then it makes it incredibly difficult
for Microsoft to be able to get away with changing the file
format.  I think that Orifice 2000 uses Word 97 format, and that
the upcoming Orafice XP will use it too.  Consider that one of
the ways Microsoft has forced people in the past to buy new versions
of Orafice was by changing the file format, and you can see
how damaging it is to them if everyone forces compliance with
a set format, no matter who creates the format.  As of now
no one has incentive to upgrade to the new version of Orafice so
this really hurts their sales.