Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 18:30:01 -0400
From:      "Jon E. Mitchiner" <jon@minotaur.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   19981002-BETA Apache/Mouse problems

I recently installed the 19981002-BETA onto an ASUS P2B-LS system and the
installation went through without a hitch.  I had expected a couple of
problems to come up, but everything worked well until I had decided to do a
few things...

I enabled the mouse daemon and driver but then I got a lot of out of sync
errors and the mouse is unusable, so I can't set up X (as the problem is
affected there as well.)

In the messages, I see the following:

Oct 4 17:55:25 labyrinth /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (0000 != 0008).
Oct 4 17:55:25 labyrinth /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (00c8 != 0008).
Oct 4 17:55:25 labyrinth /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (0000 != 0008).
Oct 4 17:55:25 labyrinth /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (00c8 != 0008).
Oct 4 17:55:25 labyrinth /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (00c8 != 0008).

etc.  I get 100's of those and am not sure what the problem is.  Ive tried
replacing the mouse (Logitech) which doesnt resolve the problem.  The next
step I'm going to try is plugging in a serial mice to see if this resolves
the problem, but I found it odd.  I was wondering if it was a
freebsd-related problem?

The next problem I had was installing the ports directory for Apache13 -- I
understand that the ports dir haven't been completely fixed or working yet,
but I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.

I tried compiling Apache13 which seemed to work well, but when I attempted
to run it, I ran into some module problems when trying
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start -- I get the following error:

Syntax error on line 26 of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_mime_magic.so into server:
/usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_mime_magic.so: Undefined symbol
"ap_make_sub_pool"

Doing file /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_mime_magic.so, I get:

/usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_mime_magic.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object,
Intel 80386, Version 1 (FreeBSD), nto stripped

So I tried removing all the modules in the httpd.conf file which didn't
work.  I suspect this is an aout-elf problem and am not sure where to go
from here.

Any suggestions/hints would be appreciated!
Jon