Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:49:29 +0200
From:      "Erik Paulsen Skaalerud" <erik@pentadon.com>
To:        "'Daniela'" <dgw@liwest.at>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Server overloaded? Or is it a bug?

> Hi all!

Hi

> I need your help.

Ok. You should ask generic questions like this on
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, as its not directly rleated to
FreeBSD-STABLE.

> My server doesn't respond any more. Everything crashed.
> How can I find out if this is a bug or it is simply overloaded?

Did you try looking at its console?
It probably have lots of pretty messages of whats going on..

> I don't have much running, just KDE with about 10 programs
> on each of the 16 desktops, and a few background processes.
> This seems much, but I often have much more stuff running,
> and it is not even slow.
>
> It does respond when I ping it, but won't let me in over SSH.
> The processor doesn't sound busy, so I suspect that the
> scheduler has gone away, or there is some bug in the kernel,
> or some system table is too small.

Hm. What kind of sound does a busy CPU make? :-)

> How do I find out what the problem is? (Never had any
> before.)

Yeah, attach a console and find out whats going on.

> FreeBSD has always managed the highest loads, even
> on normal PC hardware. Is it possible to bring the server
> back without rebooting? I would lose a lot of unsaved data if
> I had to reboot. I'm running 4.8-STABLE.

When a server responds to ping, but ssh times out etc it often relates to
hdd problems. Atleast in my experiences it has been so (dead disk). And if
it is hdd problems, and FreeBSD couldnt get the disk to wake up again, you
probably already have lost data.