Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:40:05 -0700
From:      "Sean Hamilton" <sh@planetquake.com>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IP monitoring

Greetings,

I'm interested in developing a fairly proprietary IP monitoring solution (I
want to look for specific trends in specific packets.)

Will there be considerable gains from writing some sort of kernel module,
vs. a userspace solution? I've never hacked the kernel or written any sort
of kernel module before, but I'm eager to do so.

What is the most low level API for this sort of thing, to avoid API
overhead, if I should do it in user space?

thanks,

sh