Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 02:06:59 -0700
From:      "Jeff Shevlen" <jeff@passedpawn.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   mysql & ISP hostname

Hi,

I have a question about ISP assigned hostnames and MySQL.  I want to
change how MySQL recognizes my machine in the mysql.user table.

Say my machine's name is www.my.url.  To initialize the remote login
for root I did this:
%  mysqladmin -u root -h www -p password 'secretpassword'
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'www' failed
error: 'Host 'xxx.xxx.my.isp.net' is not allowed to connect to this
MySQL server'

Fine, so I went into mysql.user and changed every 'www' entry to
'xxx.xxx.my.isp.net'.  Now:
% mysqladmin -u root -h ''xxx.xxx.my.isp.net' -p password
'secretpassword'
... works: MySQL recognizes my machine's hostname.

The problem is, as far as solutions go, this is a pretty inelegant.  I
have a static IP, and I have a FQDN, and I want to use these with
MySQL for obvious reasons.

I don't know how MySQL manages it's networking, but is there a way to
change this behavior?  Is there maybe some way to have MySQL do a DNS
lookup (or use /etc/hosts somehow...) so I don't have to use the ISP's
assigned name?

Jeff