Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:51:10 +0200
From:      Christian Gusenbauer <Christian.Gusenbauer@netway.at>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: One more time: fxtv and audio problems

Hello Randall!

AFAIR Randall Hopper wrote on So , 10 Sep 2000:
>  |> Play with the synth volume. For some reason, on CS423x cards the line in
>  |> and synth controls are reversed.
>  |I did that - no change :-(!
>
> Ok, let's start at the top.  What sound card input do you have your TV card
> plugged into?  Most use Line, some use CD, others use other strange inputs.
> Have you ever plugged anything into this input before and heard audio with
> your recently-installed -current FreeBSD installation?

The TV card is connected to the line-in on the soundcard. Yes, I plugged
various sources into the line-in (eg. Walkman, stereo, TV) and everything
worked. Remember, currently my TV card is connected with the line-in on the
soundcard and I can hear the 1 KHz test tone of the TV card when I activate it.

If I connect my speakers directly to the line-out of the TV card, I can't hear
anything, too (except to the test tone if activated).

> Run xmix.  Is the volume cranked up to max on that channel before you start
> fxtv?  Is it still cranked up after you start fxtv?  You'll need to move
> your cursor into the xmix window to check.

I checked this and all is on max before and after starting fxtv.

> Some folks have reported a few PCM oddities with sound, but these have been
> with the volume creeping down; not being mute altogether.
>
> These are the Fxtv variables to tweak to select the appropriate audio
> channel on your soundcard for volume (put them in your ~/.Xdefaults and
> then xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults to enable):
>
> ! Method to override audio device
> !Fxtv.doSound:          true
> !Fxtv.dspDevice:        /dev/dsp
> !Fxtv.mixerDevice:      /dev/mixer
> Fxtv.mixerChannel:     line
>
> Valid values for the latter are:  cd, mic, line, line1, line2, line3.
> This is primarily just so you can control the right volume channel in Fxtv.
>
> Next, the driver/TV card has a number of possible ports to slurp off audio
> from.  This sets it:
>
> Fxtv.defaultAudioInput: auto
>                                         ! tuner, external, internal, auto
>
> auto is usually right (let the driver decide).  In case it's not, override
> and set to external, then internal, then tuner.  Flip the volume around in
> each case.  See what you find.

I tested all these settings and combinations without success. Basically, I
think the problem is, that the TV card doesn't output sound, the soundcard
seems to work properly.

Thanks,
Christian.