Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:34:38 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira" <lioux@uol.com.br>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Signal 11 on 4-Stable buildworld; bad memory or what?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira" <lioux@uol.com.br>
To: <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>

| Before blaming freebsd, either sigbus errors or
| signal 11 should be checked for either bad hardware or memory.

I don't know why people assume I'm blaming FreeBSD.  I had someone else
telling me not to blame FreeBSD, too, and believe me I don't.  Even though
I've only been using FreeBSD for a few months (after years of Linux abuse),
I have YET to have a world break (on any of the three machines I'm currently
running it on)other than on this glitch or when the comitters declare open
season on -STABLE. I was ALREADY assuming broken hardware, and was surprised
that the pounding the machine got under Windows didn't reveal any problems.

From my original message:

---

Since I haven't seen a anyone else's world breaking this way, I'm assuming
that this is a hardware problem -- but what kind?  Memory?  I have a spare
Pentium 166 CPU and extra SDRAM I can swap, any clues as to where to start?

---

The postscript to this story is I ran memtest86 (after getting the
suggestion from here) overnight and it reported errors in my RAM.  Replaced
with a fresh stick of RAM and all is well.

(As an aside, I was checking for info on my board, an Asus TXP4, on USENET
and supposedly it will do an unadvertised 75 and 83Mhz FSB.  Anyone know how
overclockable K6-233 CPUs are?)