Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 11:15:27 -0400
From:      <lists@brenius.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Mark Rowlands" <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
Subject:   Re: Mylex RAID to Asus Symbios SCSI Card

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Rowlands" <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To: <lists@brenius.com>; <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 3:31 AM

> On Monday 06 May 2002 8:36 pm, lists@brenius.com wrote:
> > I guess the mounting guru's missed this one.. :)
> >
> > Please help. :)

Asus
> > > Symbios SCSI
> > > card which appears to be run at SCSI-3 (40MB/s).
> > >
> > > Server was shutdown properly, original Mylex card was removed and Asus
> >
> > card
> >
> > > was
> > > inserted. So I knew the OS would yell at me for a totally different HD
> > > controller and
> > > will obviously not boot up fully, and is currently stuck at:
> > >
> > > Mounting root from ufs: /dev/mlxd0s1a
> > > No such device 'mlxd'
> > > Setrootbyname failed
> > > ffs_mountroot: can't find rootup
> > > Root mount failed: 6
> > >
> > > Mountroot>
> > >
> > > Now, the pause key is not working on the keyboard, but it appears as
> >
> > though
> >
> > > the SCSI
> > > card is seeing the drives OK and seems to be named as sym0. But, of
> > > course is stuck at
> > > what I typed above.
> > >
> > > So besides what few keystrokes (which I am baffed on, cause I don`t
know
> > > this part of
> > > the OS) at this prompt, any other things I would need to do for the OS
> > > boot up properly
> > > and run as if the Mylex card was back in, minus the RAID? :D

> (1) put the mylex card back in!!!!!!!

1.) Not possible.
"Controller is removed and is no longer available. Replacement is an Asus
Symbios SCSI card which appears to be run at SCSI-3 (40MB/s)."

Keywords are "no longer available."

2.) I am simply looking for resolutions with what I have. I am also trying
to learn how to
re-mount drives, etc. Besides, my scenario of a controller card failing and
not being able
to replace it with a replica cannot be that far fetched. Not all companies
can afford to have
duplicates of every peice of hardware, my apologies if they are suppose to.

> I suppose you could try booting in single user mode and then mount / from
> some device like symd0s1a..... and editing /etc/fstab but really see (1)

So, at the "ok" prompt how would I go about editing /etc/fstab.

Thanks for the help,