Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:51:52 -0700
From:      "Sean Hamilton" <sh@planetquake.com>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   arplookup: host is not on local network

Greetings,

I have a FreeBSD box being colocated. Every few seconds, I get the following
message:

/kernel: arplookup 216.187.x.x failed: host is not on local network

As I understand, this 216.187.x.x machine is acting as a "proxy arp". I
think it's supposed to be completely transparent, but evidently my box is
noticing.

I am on a 64.69.x.x address. I have tried explicitly setting host routes,
with no results. I have tried setting a permanent arp entry for that IP
address, but then I get:

/kernel: arp: 00:d0:b7:bb:86:ec attempts to modify permanent entry for
216.187.x.x on xl0

even though this is the hardware address I've set for the explicit arp.

This has polluted my server logs beyond my tolerance, and I am about to cave
and just comment these out of the kernel. Any suggestions on how to rectify
this?

thanks,

sh