Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:36:56 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Modifying only certain bits with chmod

Roman writes:

> I'm not that old, have been using FreeBSD for a couple of months
> only, and yet I terribly miss an option that would make ls(1)
> display perms in octal.

Done.  Shall I send you the modified source?  I added a -p option (one of
the few letters available!) which prints the file modes in octal instead of
as the usual -rw-r--r-- strings if you also specify the long format for
output (-l).  I've not exhaustively tested it but it seems to work okay
(it's a simple change).