Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:37:48 -0500
From:      "alexus" <ml@db.nexgen.com>
To:        "Florian Nigsch" <flo@nigsch.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: logs (rotation)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Florian Nigsch" <flo@nigsch.com>
To: "alexus" <ml@db.nexgen.com>; <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 10:12 AM

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 10:02:05AM -0500, alexus wrote:
> > 1. when I use TransferLog inside my apache's configuration I get common
type
> > of log, how can I switch it to combined?
>
> make sure you have a line reading
>
> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined

> in your httpd.conf file
>
> and for the logging add a line
>
> CustomLog /var/log/httpd-access.log combined
>
> for each vhost you want to log separately

i did that and it works fine, however

when i run rotatelogs from apache's dir i get this instructions

%/usr/local/apache/bin/rotatelogs
Usage: /usr/local/apache/bin/rotatelogs <logfile> <rotation time in seconds>
[offset minutes from UTC]

Add this:

TransferLog "|/usr/local/apache/bin/rotatelogs /some/where 86400"

to httpd.conf. The generated name will be /some/where.nnnn where nnnn is the
system time at which the log nominally starts (N.B. this time will always be
multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it).
At the end of each rotation time a new log is started.
%

so they suggest to use TransferLog instead of CustomLog

this is also an answer for my question 4

> > 2. how can I rotate error_log?
>
> by adding the files you want to rotate to newsyslog.conf or by creating
> a script yourself and running it on a periodic basis out of cron.
>
> > 3. can I limit amount of logs?
>
> newsyslog provides this capability, you could add it to your script.
>
> > 4. those numbers.. what do they mean? is there any sequence in them?
> > transfer_log.1014249600 transfer_log.1014336000 transfer_log.1014422400
>
> No idea on this. Is there something already rotating your logs?
>
> flo

all those questions meant to do all rotating and other stuff withing apache.