Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:04:56 +0000
From:      Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
To:        "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which X-window to choose?

Hi,

Here are my views

> Thanks, Nils, you asked the same question I was about to ask.  However, I
> have an additional criterion.  Are any of these systems establishing
> themselves as standards?  I know of Gnome and kde, and that Redhat has
just
> dropped kde for Gnome which presumably gives Gnome an edge, but how are
the
> camps dividing themselves among FBSD users?

RedHat have far from dropped KDE from their installation.  The latest 6.1
installation allows a 'KDE' desktop to be installed rather that 6.0's Gnome
one and without pissing around for 2 hours with switchdesk.  There also
appears to be a _huge_ amount of commercial backing for KDE from various
sources.  Gnome looks nice, but it's hardly stable and not very practical.
I personally dumped both of them for the raw speed and power of
WindowMaker.  So it doesnt have a native file manager?  So it doesnt have
feature x and y.  It has so many more good points:-

     1. It's rock solid
     2. It'll run speedily on a P90
     3. It's easy to use - not overcomplicated like the win9x/2000/gnome
desktop
     4. It's simpler than most and therefore less bugs.
     5. It's very customisable.

This is my view, but I'd recommend KDE as a good second and possible a
first for new UNIX users.  I wouldnt recommend RedHat though for anyone.
It's got more holes than a seive.

Regarding standards, KDE has adopted it's own 'standard' known as
KOM/OpenParts (I think).  Gnome uses an existing standard but it's a
'commercial style' one which I dont like.  I compare it to Microsoft DCOM
which is foul and should be burned at the stake :o)

Chris Smith
Raytheon Systems Limited