Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:31:53 +0500
From:      "Igor Shulgin" <igorsh@garural.chel.su>
To:        "FreeBSD-current" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Running old program on 3.0-RELEASE

I recently installed 3.0-RELEASE on existing 2.1.0-RELEASE.
After that one program does not run any more.
That program is being invoked by Apache daemon (now I use Apache 1.2.6 from
3.0-RELEASE/packages) and is needed for access to some special part of our
WWW-server. After attempt of invocation this program accordingly to user's
action next message appears in /var/log/httpd-error.log :
"ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libg++.so.3.0""
User is seeing message "500 Internal Server Error" on his screen.
I have no influence on author of program mentioned above to prompt him to
recompile his program on 3.0-RELEASE. As I know this program successful works
on pack of 2.1.x and 2.2.x systems.

I run "ldconfig -r" and not found "libg++.so.3.0" in list.
File /usr/lib/libg++.so.3.0 exist but have old date "Nov 16 1995" because
this file remained from old version. There is new file
/usr/lib/compat/libg++.so.3.0 with date "Oct 16 1997". There is line
ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib"
in file /etc/rc.conf and I see messages at rebooting about successful running
ldconfig on these directories.
Output of "ldconfig -r" has 1st and 2nd line:
"/var/run/ld-elf.so.hints
searching directories: /usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/local/lib "
But there are not files from /usr/lib/compat in list.

Is something incorrectly installed in my system?
Should I remove all files from /usr/lib with date "16 Nov 1995" and earlier?
Must I remove directory /usr/lib before any installation newer version above
older?

Thanks in advance.

--- With good wishes,
                      Igor Shulgin