Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:37:58 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        "Aaron" <click46@webpimps.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 3ware Escalade 6200 RAID Controller

Hi Aaron,

After talking to their tech support this morning, I think I'm not going to
use this controller mostly because it looks like a SCSI controller to the
system, even though the drives are IDE. This means that the system won't
boot since the filesystem names will be different. If I hadn't installed
FBSD yet, I would definitely use 3ware. This is a production server and I
can't afford to have it down for more than a couple of hours to get things
running.

I'm wary of the Promise controller because I've heard it can change the
perceived drive geometry and then your system won't boot.

I may go ahead with the ARCO. It is a total transparent RAID controller that
sits in between your IDE controller and the drive. The only down side to it
is that it does not provide any performance improvements like the other two
controllers do.

Kory