Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:38:33 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca.emmerton.org>
To:        "Stephen Cimarelli" <stephen@clari.net.au>, <dirk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: expat-1.1

> Hi Dirk
>
> I'm tring to compile expat-1.95 on FreeBSD 4.0, but am having no luck
>
> It uses libtool but seems to run libtool --mode=link before
> --mode=compile
> it therefore creates .o links to .lo files that do not exist.
>
> I am not a code cutter can anyone help?

I don't know about expat-1.95 (since a cvsup of 3 minutes ago indicates that
expat is still at version 1.1), but I ran into similar problems with expat
when building mod_php4 over the weekend.

Since expat doesn't appear to use libtool at all, I think the problem
relates to ports that build expat as a dependency and use libtool to work
magic (such as mod_php4.)  All I did to work around this was to 'cd
/usr/ports/textproc/expat' and build it using 'make clean all install' and
then continued my build of mod_php4 and all was fine.

The only way I have to explain why it failed in the first place is that I
was building on an SMP machine, and was using 'make -j8' to do so.  Is it
possible that the libtool steps of the mod_php4 make were executed against
the expat build before the expat build had completed?

If this is the case, then this is something that the maintainers of
bsd.port.mk might want to know about, so that some synchronisation magic can
be performed to ensure that dependencies are built before they are operated
upon.

Also, I noticed that the archive at ftp://ftp.jclark.com/pub/xml is
out-of-date (it fails with a checksum error).

--
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services