Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:06:15 -0500
From:      "Bara Zani" <bara_zani@yahoo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   freebsd as a desktop ?

Ok , I am not starting a flame/holy war here !!!
this is purely out of curiosity , so a reasonable answer is required please
, if you feel this is bul... than
I apologize and ask you to ignore .
for the sake of others please respond to my email address and not the list
and I will summarize .
and now for the question :
I use both Linux and freebsd as servers and am happy with it ( I'd take nix
over m$ any day ) .
I work for a primarily nt shop now and of course sometimes the nix vs. nt
question arises .
I figured that I'm all talk cause I use freebsd for servers but win2k as my
desktop .
so I decided to install freebsd and use it as my desktop client
now here is where I need your help :
I use my desktop for - email , web , mp3 and downloads ...
as for email - I figured I can use fetchmail for multiple accounts and pine
to read/sort in folders - but what happens with attachments ?
as for web - I have tried in vain to enable the java plugin on mozilla can
someone help with that ?
as for mp3 - what do I use ? I know xmms for Linux but for fbsd ?
as for other stuff - image viewers ( xv ? ) video files ( mpg, divx , avi )
also can I use star office with freebsd ?
any other personal experience for using freebsd as a desktop and server are
welcomed .
please email me and not the list and I will summarize ,
thanks
barazani