Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:38:51 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <smorton@acm.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Showing Uptime Via webpage

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Morton" <simon.morton@verizon.net>
To: "Steven Lake" <raiden@shell.core.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2002 9:05 AM

> Steven Lake wrote:
> > Hi all.  Just a curiousity question.  If I wanted to have a
> > special hidden page which showed me all of the current processes,
total
> > uptime, list of last logins, or other things like that which
automatically
> > refreshed each time I reloaded the page, how would I do that?  Do I
make a
> > perl script for that, or can I do it directly through Apache?  Kinda
> > curious about this cause it would be nice if I could do that.
>
> If you just want the basics, the following perl script will do the
trick:

> #!/usr/bin/perl
> print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";
> system ("uptime");
> exit;
>
> Put it in your cgi-bin directory, name it uptime, make it executable
by
> httpd,
> and you are all set.  Access it as http://your.server/cgi-bin/uptime.

I tried this just out of curiosity but ran into problems.  I don't get
any errors but I just get a blank web page.  Here is a clip from my
httpd-access log:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [25/Mar/2002:09:32:15 -0800] "GET /cgi-bin/uptime
HTTP/1.0" 200 0

And here are the permissions on the script:

blacklamb# ll
total 1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   79 Mar 25 09:30 uptime

I have another script there that I picked up along the way to verify
that cgi was working.  You can see the output at these URLs:

http://mykitchentable.net/cgi-bin/uptime
http://mykitchentable.net/cgi-bin/test-cgi

I have basically no experience with either Perl or cgi.  What is
missing?

Thanks,

Drew