Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:19:34 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Contributing to FreeBSD (was: userland firewall ?)

Most of my linux experience has been with redhat. I know they put a lot of
effort in making the install portion as painless as possible. As a matter of
fact, the first time I installed linux was because I needed support for
laptops and PCMCIA cards and FBSD wasn't quite there yet. The install was
quite painless and easy.

> However, the problem is being addressed, in two different ways. First,
> the idiosyncrasies of libdialog that make doing a FreeBSD install so
> twitchy are being addressed, and that should show up in 4.4. Second,
> the entire install process and package facility is being reworked, but
> I don't believe that's planned for 5.0 - but it would be great if it
> made it.

I don't have any problems with the install procedure. I occasionally get a
little confused with sysinstall in terms "how do I active or do the options
I just selected". For example, sometime pressing escape in sysinstall, you
go up one level, other times it does something else. All of these are quite
minor to me. How often does one run sysinstall anyway? But it is the first
thing a new user sees when install FBSD.

Again, I want to make this very clear: I am not complaining about FBSD in
anyway. Kudos to everyone involved in building such a great system and
expecting no monetary rewards. I am just looking at ways of making FBSD more
popular with people not familiar with Unix operating system. I swapped out a
client's NT Server with a FBSD system. My client could not believe:

1. How fast and stable the system was compared to NT.
2. The number of free powerful packages.
3. Things that can be automated so easily with a few shell or perl scripts.
4. How easily the system can be customized.
5. No viruses.

However, this client would have never attempted to migrate to a unix system
by himself.

Kory