Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 21:55:32 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

Greg writes:

> Ah, this wouldn't have anything to do with
> Microsoft, would it?  Who killed Netscape?

No.  Frankly, Netscape Navigator was garbage from the beginning, but it had
no competition for those critical first months of widespread discovery of
the Web.  The first versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer were even worse,
and nobody really bothered with versions 1 and 2 of MSIE.  Version 3,
however, was the equal of Netscape for the most part; and versions 4 and
beyond blew Netscape away, for quality, reliability, and standards
conformance.  And that's what killed Netscape.  If they had spent more time
fixing and improving their browser and less time trying to claim that
Someone Else was killing them off by daring to provide serious competition,
they might still be viable today.

> I'll agree with you that Netscape is not
> a good browser.

I do indeed agree, especially with respect to early Netscape browers.  Even
the most recent ones I've tried pale in comparison to Opera or MSIE, though.

> But then, I've never seen a good browser, let
> alone an excellent one.

Both MSIE 5.x and beyond and Opera 5.x and beyond do a very good job indeed,
based on the tests I put them through on the W3C's test pages.

> The only way I could find any Microsoft
> product good, let alone excellent, would
> be to lower my standards.

Or you could try dropping your bias.