Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 04:56:46 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Konstantinos Konstantinidis" <kkonstan@duth.gr>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A breath of fresh air..

Konstantinos writes:

> Nope, it is the rational choise for *those*
> customers, not all.

Yes, that's what "most" means.

> Speaking from my consulting experience, most
> customers are morons and if something dominates
> the market it is more due to their stupidity,
> effective marketing and network effects rather
> than rational choices based on well defined
> requirements.

That is often the case--Linux is a good example.  But Windows is not;
neither is the Mac.

> Apparently, "most" is a subset of "all" customers,
> so there exists a non-empty set of customers
> that can rationally, based on their requirements,
> choose something other than Windows, even for the
> desktop.

Yes.  But since most customers are best served by Windows, it doesn't make
sense to make a general recommendation of anything other than Windows, no
matter how much other solutions might suit a minority.

> Why does this bother you?

Because the geeks on mailing lists like this are often asked for advice
about what computer system to buy, and people who are uninformed in IT may
not recognize the extent to which the recommendations they receive are a
consequence of the emotional investments that some geeks have in their
chosen belief systems.

I can predict what type of system a geek will recommend much more accurately
by knowing his religious preference than by looking at the requirements of
the application.  Some geeks will recommend a Mac for _everything_, because
it is the Best--they'll find a way to force it to work for any environment,
no matter how ill suited to that platform.  Similarly, other geeks will
recommend Linux for _everything_.  Still others still recommend OS/2 for
_everything_.

I even know geeks who have changed faiths with the shifting tides of
fashion.  One of them was convinced that OS/2 was the best OS ever invented,
and would wash away the infidels in time.  As the fortunates of OS/2 waned,
however, and as the star of Linux hype cleared the horizon, this
impressionable geek shifted allegiance, and now pledges his soul to Linux,
which is the best OS ever invented in his eyes.  He becomes upset if he is
reminded of his former love for OS/2.  During all this time, his
recommendation for a desktop OS has rigorously followed his fashion tastes;
when he was a devotee of OS/2, OS/2 was the best desktop, and when Linux
drove OS/2 from his heart, Linux became the best desktop.  He would claim
that his recommendations are based on technical merit, but if so, there is
no reason why they would change with his sentiments.  In fact, the merits of
each OS remain the same, but his religion changes.

Unfortunately, geeks like that influence a lot of non-geeks in buying
decisions, and I've seen the very unhappy results of such influence time and
again.  Repairing the damage done by these fanatics is extremely
time-consuming and difficult.

> Are other peoples choices with no direct or
> indirect effect on you affecting your happiness?

Only if it affects theirs, and if someone recommends a white elephant to
them, they are likely to be unhappy.

> Does that mean that *I* should immediately cease
> to use FreeBSD and buy Windows XP?

No, but it strongly implies that you should acknowledge the suitability of
Windows to the desktop for the average user--however heretical this may
seem--and keep that fact in mind when you are asked to recommend a system
for the desktop of an average user.

> What bloody rule?

The rule that Windows remains the dominant OS, largely because of its
suitability to the desktop, and that, in any case, the mere market share of
Windows alone makes it more suitable for the desktop.