Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:32:53 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        thyerm@camtech.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current lockups

On 2000-Mar-06 21:39:11 +1100, Matthew Sean Thyer <me@camtech.net.au> wrote:
>My computer had been stable all winter (with setiathome runnning full
>time) but suddenly come the Australian summer it started freezing.

And it's been the coldest summer for something like 5 years...

> How about these Peltier (sp ?) cooling devices I have heard about ?

A Peltier cell is just a semiconductor heat pump.  It effectively just
reduces the junction-to-heatsink thermal resistance, allowing you (in
theory) to use a less efficient heatsink (or have the CPU run cooler
with the same heatsink.  The downside is they they're relatively
inefficient - your power supply will need to supply an extra 3-4A at
12v and you need to dissipate that extra power.  Unless you
significantly improve the airflow through the case, you'll probably
find that the internal temperature rises significantly - further
stressing everything except the CPU.

Note that the chip that most needs cooling may not be the CPU - the
big support chips can also run very hot.

Peter